Interacting with Items: Reading Text
You can read the full text of books, documents, newspapers, and other texts within our interface.
Start by selecting an item from your results list by clicking either its title or image. When the descriptive item record opens, move to the reading pane by clicking on the image or selecting "Start Reading" from the left sidebar.
Within the reading pane, you can:
1. Turn the page forward or back by clicking on the right or left side of the pane.
2. Search for specific content within the text.
3. Use our tools to:
* Turn highlighting of search terms on or off. * Change the color of highlighting. * Rotate the page. * Adjust on-screen brightness and contrast. * Crop and download a section of a page. * Compare or download jpeg images of a page in a variety of resolutions. * Get IIIF Image JSON and URL files. * View extracted text produced by our optical character recognition process.
4. Zoom to enlarge or decrease text size.
Outside the reading pane, we offer additional features to help you work with the item:
5. Use "Jump to..." to move quickly to a particular page within the text.
6. Use "Show All Pages" to gain a sense of the structure of the text and to easily locate illustrations, graphs, and charts.
7. Use "Print & Share" to print the current page or send it to your favorite social media platform.
8. Use "Citations, Rights, Re-Use" to find a citation for the entire item along with information about permissions, linking, etc.
9. Scroll down the screen to find a citation for the specific page you are currently reading.