This system will be undergoing maintenance Friday, March 31 from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM CDT.
World War Two Collection - Browse
- Newsmap. For the Armed Forces. 244th week of the war, 126th week of U.S. participation
- Front: Text describes action on various war fronts: Air war, Eastern front, China, Burma-India, Italy, Pacific. Maps: China-Burma; Sevastopol; Insets: Crimea. Includes 8 photographs. Back: Moscow to Berlin. Map.
- Newsmap for the Armed Forces : Moscow conference decisions
- Front: Text describes 5 Moscow conference decisions. Maps: Moscow conference decisions as reflected on the global map. Includes photograph of Ernest Bevin (Britain), V. M. Molotov (Russia) and James F. Byrnes (U.S.) Back: Reenlistment. List of reasons to reenlist. Charts of income and retirement income for enlisted classes.
- Newsmap. Monday, August 17, 1942 : week of August 7 to August 14
- Front: Text describes action on various war fronts: Solomon Islands, New Guinea, Aleutians, China, India, Western Europe, Yugoslavia, Mediterranean, Russia. Large world map is keyed to text and illustrates time zones around the world. Map insets show Solomon Islands, Russian front. Includes photographs: view of Tulagi; German fighter; Facing the Nazis; Sniper suit; A traitor covers up; Club for U.S. forces on London. Back: British Battle Dress. Includes 6 photograhs, 4 drawings with accompanying text.
- Newsmap. Monday, June 15, 1942 : week of June 5 to June 12
- Front: Text describes action on various war fronts: Midway, China, India, Libya, RAF, Australia, Madagascar, East Indies, Russia; The second front: Allies, production. Large world map is keyed to text and illustrates time zones around the world. Inset maps show Russian Front; Midway Islands; Battle of Libya. Includes 15 photographs. Back: Color illustration of a German Gruppe. Text and drawings detailing the organization, uniforms, insignia and weapons of the basic German army unit.
- Newsmap. Monday, May 18, 1942 : week of May 8 to May 15
- Text describes action on various war fronts: Jap advance lines cut -- U.S. bombers in India -- Jap defeat in China -- Tribute to team work -- Tokyo raid confirmed -- Axis attack forecast -- Subs in St. Lawrence -- Plan relief corps -- WAAC bill passes -- State laws 'brake' war -- Deal at Martinique -- Raid Jap settlements -- Peru's president here -- Freight by plane -- Gas rationing starts -- Indies fliers here -- British announce war casualties -- R.A.F. pushes attacks -- Gort to Malta command -- Mission to Africa -- Spring offensive on -- Norway plant wrecked. Large world map is keyed to text and illustrates time zones around the world. Inset map shows German and Russian advances near the Black Sea. Includes photographs: Lt. Gen. Stillwell -- Vice Pres. Wallace -- Lt. Gen. Somervell -- New bombs piled underground awaiting delivery -- Lord Gort -- Russian troop answer the Nazi assault -- British troops practice street fighting tactics. Includes 1 cartoon.
- Newsmap. Monday, May 25, 1942 : week of May 15 to May 22
- Front : Text describes action on various war fronts: Axis hunts Shangri La -- Shadow on Australia -- New threat to China -- Gandhi still passive -- More Yanks in Ireland -- U.S. gets Panama bases -- Spain would trade -- Island volcano erupts -- Axis people grumble -- Axis battles Chetniks -- Air travel curtailed -- Prinz Eugen torpedoes -- Attack on Kharkov -- Vichy downs RAF planes -- Africa drive hinted -- Malta counts bombings. Large world map is keyed to text and illustrates time zones around the world. Inset maps show the Burma Road and a map of a portion of Europe overlaying a map of the United States. U.S. cities are shown in italics, European cities in capitals. Includes photographs: Doolittle did much -- North American B-25 -- Gandhi opposes [scorched earth policy] -- School of 'tin fish' ready for their deadly work -- Shell casings stacked in Moscow factory -- Rommel might move -- Catalinas from America keep an eye on the Mediterranean -- RAF salvages wrecked planes from desert. Includes 1 cartoon. Back: Know Your Enemies: the Nazi Army. Includes photographs: Supporting Fire, Howitzer in Action, Moving Up, Mountain Troops, Tank Destroyer, Anti-Aircraft Alert, No. 2 Man, Quick Crossing, Battle Practice, Flame Thrower, Mopping Up. Inset has text details for each photograph.
- Newsmap. Monday, November 2, 1942 : week of October 23 to October 30
- Front: Text desribes action on various war fronts: Solomons, Central and South Pacific; North Africa; Italy; Russia; Burma and India; China; Aleutians. Large world map is keyed to text and illustrates time zones around the world. Inset maps show North Africa; The Caucasus. Includes 10 photographs. Back: There is no all-purpose plane. 20 photographs show Heavy Bombers -- Medium and light bombers -- Fighters -- Torpedo bombers -- Transports -- Naval patrol planes. Text accompanies the photographs.