"According to Their Wills and Pleasures": The Sexual Stereotyping of Mormon Men in American Film and Television Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title "According to Their Wills and Pleasures": The Sexual Stereotyping of Mormon Men in American Film and Television
Author: Sutton, TravisCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Benshoff, Harry M.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Larke-Walsh, SandraContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Sahlin, ClaireContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2009-05
- Digitized: 2009-09-14
- Content Description: This thesis examines the representation of Mormon men in American film and television, with particular regard for sexual identity and the cultural association of Mormonism with sexuality. The history of Mormonism's unique marital practices and doctrinal approaches to gender and sexuality have developed three common stereotypes for Mormon male characters: the purposeful heterosexual, the monstrous polygamist, and the self-destructive homosexual. Depending upon the sexual stereotype in the narrative, the Mormon Church can function as a proponent for nineteenth-century views of sexuality, a symbol for society's repressed sexuality, or a metaphor for the oppressive effects of performing gender and sexuality according to ideological constraints. These ideas are presented in Mormon films such as Saturday's Warrior (1989) as well as mainstream films such as A Mormon Maid (1917) and Advise and Consent (1962).
- Keyword: gender
- Keyword: Film studies
- Keyword: cultural studies
- Keyword: Mormon studies
- Keyword: Mormon
- Keyword: LDS
- Keyword: Mormon cinema
- Keyword: Utah
- Keyword: stereotypes
- Keyword: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Keyword: polygamy
- Keyword: homosexuality
- Keyword: gay and lesbian
- Keyword: heterosexuality
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Mormons in motion pictures.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Men in motion pictures.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Men on television.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Sex in motion pictures.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Sex on television.
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Sutton, Travis
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 454521944
- UNT Catalog No.: b3795804
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc9825
- Degree Name: Master of Arts
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Discipline: Radio, Television and Film
- Academic Department: Department of Radio, Television and Film
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas