Joseph Holbrooke: A Study of the Published and Unpublished Solo and Chamber Works for Clarinet with an Annotated Bibliography Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Joseph Holbrooke: A Study of the Published and Unpublished Solo and Chamber Works for Clarinet with an Annotated Bibliography
Author: Webb, Joseph DeeCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Scott, JohnContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Heidlberger, FrankContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Gillespie, JamesContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2009-05
- Digitized: 2009-09-15
- Content Description: The name Joseph Holbrooke is, for the most part, unknown today, but that was not the case in the early years of the 20th century. Conductors such as Sir Thomas Beecham and Henry Wood performed his works throughout England, and his opera, The Children of Don, was performed in Vienna and Salzburg. However, his popularity did not last, and the performances of his works began to decline sharply after 1925. By the last quarter of the 20th century, performances of his works were very rare, even in England, and most, if not all, were out of print. As reason for this decline, some have cited the long duration and large instrumentation required by some his works, while others have said the neglect is well deserved, but the critical pendulum now seems to be swinging in the other direction. Many of his pieces have come back into print and new recordings are being released. This is especially good news for clarinetists because of the quality and number of his works for that instrument. His compositions for clarinet include chamber and solo works, and a double concerto for clarinet and bassoon. These melodic and intriguing works for the clarinet deserve more investigation and exposure. This document provides an annotated bibliography of all of Holbrooke's solo and chamber works involving the clarinet. Each entry lists title, publisher, date of composition/publication, duration, commercially available recordings, and provides a brief description. In addition, a biographical sketch is provided along with an overview of his compositional style.
- Keyword: Joseph Holbrooke
- Keyword: annotated bibliography
- Keyword: Josef Holbrooke
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Holbrooke, Joseph, 1878-1958. Clarinet, piano music.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Holbrooke, Joseph, 1878-1958 -- Bibliography.
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Webb, Joseph Dee
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 464610233
- Call Number: MT145.H66 W4 2009
- UNT Catalog No.: b3801284
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc9821
- Degree Name: Doctor of Musical Arts
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Degree Discipline: Performance
- Academic Department: College of Music
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas