A Performance Guide and Theorical Study of Keiko Abe's Marimba d'Amore and Prism Rhapsody for Marimba and Orchestra Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title A Performance Guide and Theorical Study of Keiko Abe's Marimba d'Amore and Prism Rhapsody for Marimba and Orchestra
Author: Àlamo Santos, Juan ManuelCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Ford, MarkContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Steinel, MichaelContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Deane, ChristopherContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2008-12
- Digitized: 2009-06-25
- Content Description: Keiko Abe's contributions to the contemporary marimba repertoire have been a milestone in the development of the marimba as a solo concert instrument. Besides the creation of a new repertoire through commissions and her own compositions, Abe's contributions to the marimba include the improvement of the sound quality of the marimba and the establishment of the five octave instrument as the standard concert marimba. During the last four decades, Abe's compositions have been performed and studied worldwide and become standard literature for the marimba. Abe has written more than sixty compositions for marimba, including concertos, duets and solo pieces. The goal of this dissertation is to provide a comprehensive method for the performance and preparation of two major Keiko Abe's compositions, Marimba d'Amore composed by Abe in 1998 and Prism Rhapsody for Marimba and Orchestra composed in 1996. This dissertation will discuss theoretical as well as performance issues related to these two compositions. Each piece is discussed with regard to its distinctive compositional approach and inherent performances issues. In order to provide the reader an explanation of the compositional procedures used by Abe, specific directions for the performance and preparation of these two works are offered.
- Keyword: Music
- Keyword: percussion
- Keyword: marimba
- Keyword: Keiko Abe
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Abe, Keiko, 1937- Marinba damōre.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Abe, Keiko, 1937- Prism rhapsody. no. 1.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Marimba music -- History and criticism.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Marimba with orchestra -- History and cirticism.
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Àlamo Santos, Juan Manuel
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 464575010
- Call Number: MT130.A25 A5 2008
- UNT Catalog No.: b3801257
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc9803
- Degree Name: Doctor of Musical Arts
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Degree Discipline: Performance
- Academic Department: College of Music
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas