Heat treating and inspection of metals Page: 41
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HEAT TREATING AND INSPECTION OF METALS
c. The test is made as follows:
(1) Level the instrument by means of the adjusting screws shown
at (1), figure 7. The level position is determined by means of the
plumb rod shown at (2).
5. Diamond-tipped hammer.
6. Release bulb.
FIGURE 7.-Shore scleroscope.
(2) Prepare test specimen as described for the Brinell and Rock-
well tests and clamp it on the base. This is done by raising lever (3),
inserting the sample, and exerting pressure on the clamping shoe (4).
(3) Raise the hammer (5) by squeezing and releasing the bulb (6).
(4) Release the hammer by again squeezing the bulb and observe
(5) Several tists should be made at different points of a specimen,
and an average reading taken to reduce visual error.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
United States. War Department. Heat treating and inspection of metals, book, September 10, 1941; Washington D.C.. (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc96657/m1/43/: accessed January 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.