''Til Death Do Us Part:' Marital Aftermath of One Spouse's Near-Death Experience Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title ''Til Death Do Us Part:' Marital Aftermath of One Spouse's Near-Death Experience
- Serial Title Journal of Near-Death Studies
- Series Title JNDS, Volume 30, Number 4
Author: Christian, RozanCreator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Rozan Christian, Ph.D.
Author: Holden, Janice MinerCreator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Janice Miner Holden, Ed.D.
Name: International Association for Near-Death StudiesPlace of Publication: Durham, North CarolinaAdditional Info: IANDS
- Creation: 2012-22
- Content Description: Abstract: Research has revealed that following a near-death experience (NDE) a majority of experiencers (NDEers) change fundamentally in values, religious/spiritual beliefs, and relationship to paranormal phenomena. Much less is known about the relationship between aftereffects of one spouse's NDE and subsequent marital adjustment and stability. In this preliminary retrospective study, we addressed this question quantitatively with supplementary narrative data. Using the framework of John Gottman's (1999) Sound Marital House, we analyzed self-reported adjustment in and stability of the marriages of 26 NDEers before and after a self-identified life-changing event (LCE) unrelated to NDEs. Results indicated a significant reduction in marital meaning (p = .008), adjustment (p = .007), and stability (p = .005) in NDE compared to LCE couples, with a majority of NDE (65%) but only a minority of LCE (35%) couples' marriages ending in divorce. Implications for health professionals are discussed.
- Physical Description: 25 p.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Near-death experiences -- Periodicals.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Death -- Periodicals.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Parapsychology -- Periodicals.
- Keyword: near-death experiences
- Keyword: NDEs
- Keyword: spouses
- Keyword: spirituality
- Keyword: case studies
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Social Life and Customs - Families
- Keyword: marriages
- Keyword: psychology
- Keyword: full articles
- Start Date: 1959~
- End Date: 2012~
- Journal: Journal of Near-Death Studies, 30(4), International Association for Near-Death Studies, Summer 2012, pp. 207-231
- Publication Title: Journal of Near-Death Studies
- Volume: 30
- Issue: 4
- Page Start: 207
- Page End: 231
- Pages: 25
Name: Journal of Near-Death StudiesCode: JNDS
Name: UNT Scholarly WorksCode: UNTSW
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Statement: (c) 2012 IANDS
- OCLC: 14781775
- ISSN: 0891-4494
- Library of Congress Control Number: 88-648131
- Library of Congress Control Number: sn 86-2701
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc938084
- Display Note: "[The Journal of Near-Death Studies] is the only peer-reviewed scholarly journal (ISSN 0891-4494) devoted exclusively to the field of near-death studies. It is cross-disciplinary and published quarterly."
- Display Note: Pagination is continuous through volumes.