Development of an ultracompact neutron spectrometer for identifying near-surface water on mars. Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Development of an ultracompact neutron spectrometer for identifying near-surface water on mars.
Author: Lawrence, David J. (David Jeffery)Creator Type: Personal
Author: Wiens, R. C. (Roger C.)Creator Type: Personal
Author: Moore, K. R. (Kurt R.)Creator Type: Personal
Author: Prettyman, T. H. (Thomas H.)Creator Type: Personal
Sponsor: United States. Department of Energy.Contributor Type: Organization
Name: Los Alamos National LaboratoryPlace of Publication: United States
- Creation: 2001-01-01
- Content Description: One of the major goals of the Mars science program is to identify exact locations of near-surface water or hydrated minerals on Mars. Evidence is mounting that Mars may have contemporary near-surface groundwater activity. Though very water-poor by terrestrial igneous standards, the SNC meteorivtes were found to contain evaporite minerals suggestive of groundwater activity within the past 1.3 Ga. More recently, the Mars Surveyor camera recorded images of geologically young seepage and outflow channels attributed to liquid water. The sources of these channels were suggested to be only a few hundred meters or less below the surface. If these channels are truly geologically young, thinly buried ice may still exist at the termination of these channels.
- Physical Description: 3 p.
- Keyword: Mars Space Probes
- Keyword: Cameras
- Keyword: Neutron Spectrometers
- Keyword: Meteorites
- Keyword: Water
- Keyword: Evaporites
- STI Subject Categories: 71 Classical And Quantum Mechanics, General Physics
- Keyword: Mars Planet
- Keyword: Meters
- Conference: Submitted to: 33rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, March 11-15, 2002, Houston, TX
Name: Office of Scientific & Technical Information Technical ReportsCode: OSTI
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Report No.: LA-UR-01-6935
- Grant Number: none
- Office of Scientific & Technical Information Report Number: 975923
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc934132