On the response of rubbers at high strain rates. Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title On the response of rubbers at high strain rates.
Author: Niemczura, Johnathan Greenberg (University of Texas-Austin)Creator Type: Personal
Sponsor: United States. Department of Energy.Contributor Type: Organization
Name: Sandia National LaboratoriesPlace of Publication: United States
- Creation: 2010-02-01
- Content Description: In this report, we examine the propagation of tensile waves of finite deformation in rubbers through experiments and analysis. Attention is focused on the propagation of one-dimensional dispersive and shock waves in strips of latex and nitrile rubber. Tensile wave propagation experiments were conducted at high strain-rates by holding one end fixed and displacing the other end at a constant velocity. A high-speed video camera was used to monitor the motion and to determine the evolution of strain and particle velocity in the rubber strips. Analysis of the response through the theory of finite waves and quantitative matching between the experimental observations and analytical predictions was used to determine an appropriate instantaneous elastic response for the rubbers. This analysis also yields the tensile shock adiabat for rubber. Dispersive waves as well as shock waves are also observed in free-retraction experiments; these are used to quantify hysteretic effects in rubber.
- Physical Description: 149 p.
- Keyword: Latex
- STI Subject Categories: 36 Materials Science
- Keyword: Nitriles
- Keyword: Strain Rate
- Keyword: Elasticity
- Keyword: Response Functions
- Keyword: Wave Propagation
- Keyword: Shock Waves
- Keyword: Rubbers
Name: Office of Scientific & Technical Information Technical ReportsCode: OSTI
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Report No.: SAND2010-1480
- Grant Number: AC04-94AL85000
- DOI: 10.2172/976941
- Office of Scientific & Technical Information Report Number: 976941
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc926871