Elastic and transport properties in polycrystals of crackedgrains: Cross-property relations and microstructure Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Elastic and transport properties in polycrystals of crackedgrains: Cross-property relations and microstructure
Author: Berryman, J.G.Creator Type: Personal
Sponsor: United States. Department of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences.Contributor Type: OrganizationContributor Info: USDOE Director. Office of Science. Basic Energy Sciences
Name: Lawrence Berkeley National LaboratoryPlace of Publication: Berkeley, CaliforniaAdditional Info: "Ernest Orlando Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA (United States)"
- Creation: 2007-10-02
- Content Description: Some arguments of Bristow (1960) concerning the effects of cracks on elastic and transport (i.e., electrical or thermal conduction) properties of cold-worked metals are reexamined. The discussion is posed in terms of a modern understanding of bounds and estimates for physical properties of polycrystals--in contrast to Bristow's approach using simple mixture theory. One type of specialized result emphasized here is the cross-property estimates and bounds that can be obtained using the methods presented. Our results ultimately agree with those of Bristow, i.e., confirming that microcracking is not likely to be the main cause of the observed elastic behavior of cold-worked metals. However, it also becomes clear that the mixture theory approach to the analysis is too simple and that crack-crack interactions are necessary for proper quantitative study of Bristow's problem.
- Keyword: Mixtures
- STI Subject Categories: 54
- Keyword: Polycrystals
- Keyword: Thermal Conduction
- Keyword: Microstructure
- Keyword: Physical Properties
- Keyword: Transport
- Journal Name: International Journal of Engineering Science; Journal Volume: 46; Journal Issue: 6; Related Information: Journal Publication Date: 2008
Name: Office of Scientific & Technical Information Technical ReportsCode: OSTI
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Report No.: LBNL--63502
- Grant Number: DE-AC02-05CH11231
- Office of Scientific & Technical Information Report Number: 929495
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc900887