Low activity blankets for experimental power reactors

PDF Version Also Available for Download.

Description

Results of current studies aimed at the development of low activity blankets for Tokamak experimental power reactors are presented. First wall loadings in the range of 0.5 to 1.0 MW(th)/m$sup 2$ have been assumed. Blanket designs are developed for both circular plasma reactors (R = 6.25m, a = 2.1m) and non-circular plasma reactors (R = 4.0m, a = 1.0m, b = 3.0m). For each of these two reactor choices, two blanket options are described. 1) In the first option, the blanket is thick graphite block structure (approximately 50cm thickness) with SAP coolant tubes carrying helium imbedded deep within the graphite ... continued below

Physical Description

20 p.

Creation Information

Benenati, R.; Fillo, J.; Lazareth, O.W.; Majeski, S.; Powell, J.R. & Tichler, P. January 1, 1975.

Context

This article is part of the collection entitled: Office of Scientific & Technical Information Technical Reports and was provided by UNT Libraries Government Documents Department to Digital Library, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. More information about this article can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this article or its content.

Provided By

UNT Libraries Government Documents Department

Serving as both a federal and a state depository library, the UNT Libraries Government Documents Department maintains millions of items in a variety of formats. The department is a member of the FDLP Content Partnerships Program and an Affiliated Archive of the National Archives.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this article. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Digital Library.

Description

Results of current studies aimed at the development of low activity blankets for Tokamak experimental power reactors are presented. First wall loadings in the range of 0.5 to 1.0 MW(th)/m$sup 2$ have been assumed. Blanket designs are developed for both circular plasma reactors (R = 6.25m, a = 2.1m) and non-circular plasma reactors (R = 4.0m, a = 1.0m, b = 3.0m). For each of these two reactor choices, two blanket options are described. 1) In the first option, the blanket is thick graphite block structure (approximately 50cm thickness) with SAP coolant tubes carrying helium imbedded deep within the graphite to minimize radiation damage. The neutron and gamma energy deposited in the graphite is radiated along internal slots to the coolant tubes where approximately 80 percent of the fusion energy is carried off by He at 380$sup 0$C. The remaining 20 percent of the fusion energy is removed by a separate He stream at a slightly lower temperature. The maximum graphite surface temperature is relatively low (approximately 1700$sup 0$C at 1 MW(th)/m2). 2) In the second blanket option, the blanket is composed of aluminum modules. The aluminum shell (5000 series alloy) is maintained at a low temperature (approximately 200$sup 0$C) by a water coolant stream. Approximately 40 percent of the fusion energy is removed in this circuit. The remaining 60 percent of the fusion energy is deposited in a thermally insulated hot interior (SiC and B$sub 4$C) where it is transferred to a separate He coolant, with exit temperature of 700$sup 0$C. (auth)

Physical Description

20 p.

Notes

Dep. NTIS

Source

  • IEEE 6. symposium on engineering problems of fusion research, San Diego, California, USA, 17 Nov 1975

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this article in the Digital Library or other systems.

  • Report No.: BNL--20717
  • Report No.: CONF-751125--134
  • Grant Number: None
  • Office of Scientific & Technical Information Report Number: 4127067
  • Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc870336

Collections

This article is part of the following collection of related materials.

Office of Scientific & Technical Information Technical Reports

Reports, articles and other documents harvested from the Office of Scientific and Technical Information.

Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI) is the Department of Energy (DOE) office that collects, preserves, and disseminates DOE-sponsored research and development (R&D) results that are the outcomes of R&D projects or other funded activities at DOE labs and facilities nationwide and grantees at universities and other institutions.

What responsibilities do I have when using this article?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this article.

Creation Date

  • January 1, 1975

Added to The UNT Digital Library

  • Sept. 16, 2016, 12:32 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Oct. 12, 2017, 2:58 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this article last used?

Congratulations! It looks like you are the first person to view this item online.

Interact With This Article

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Reading

PDF Version Also Available for Download.

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Benenati, R.; Fillo, J.; Lazareth, O.W.; Majeski, S.; Powell, J.R. & Tichler, P. Low activity blankets for experimental power reactors, article, January 1, 1975; Upton, New York. (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc870336/: accessed October 19, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.