Messa à 4 Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Messa à 4
Composer: Bisso, Matteo, 1705-1776Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: "Del Signor Don Matteo Bisso Genovese"--T.p.
Other: Marchetti, VincenzoContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: "Copiata da me Vincenzo Marchetti [per] mio uso"--T.p.
Owner: Hammer, ChristophContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: The physical item is from the personal collection of Christoph Hammer.
- Content Description: This a manuscript copy of two Mass movements, Kyrie and Gloria, gathered from a "Messa à 4." The copyist, Vincenso Marchetti, attributed this mass to the composer Matteo Bisso. The texts of both movements of the Mass are divided in several sections and set musically for an ensemble of mixed choir (S.A.T.B), vocal soloists, strings and basso continuo. Each section reflects changes of tonality, tempo, and musical meter. The composer indicated dynamics, the use of muted strings (e.g., p.) and performance indications such as unison and col parte (e.g., p.  and p.). The last section for the Chirie [sic] is set musically as a slow fugue in triple meter.
- Physical Description: 1 ms. score ( p.) ; 23 x 31 cm.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Masses.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Kyrie (Music).
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Gloria in excelsis Deo (Music).
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices) with string orchestra -- Scores.
- Item is a Primary Source
Name: Virtual Music Rare Book RoomCode: VRBR
Name: UNT Music LibraryCode: UNTML
- Rights Statement: Permission from Christoph Hammer is required to perform or make editions of this work.
- Musical Score/Notation
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc86519
- Display Note: Full title as it appears in the t.p.: Messa à 4 [concertata] con vv e [ripieni] del signor Matteo Bisso, Genovese.
- Display Note: Matteo Bisso (1705-1776) was a Genoese composer of sacred music and the choir director at the Church of Saint Ambrogio in Genoa, Italy.
- Display Note: Although the individual pages of this manuscript are not numbered, the copyist indicated the number of measures for each section of music at its end on the right side of the page margin. The ink used from p. to the end of the manuscript is considerably lighter that the one used for the t.p. and pp. [1-41].
- Display Note: A short doxology that reads, "Laudamus te Deo, e beata Maria Virgine, Finis," appears at the bottom of the last page. Also, at the top of that page there is a handwritten entry in pencil concerning the composer, which reads, "Bisso - maestro di cappella del Duomo di Genova, del 1728 al 1755."