Image Representation and Interactivity: An Exploration of Utility Values, Information-Needs and Image Interactivity Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Image Representation and Interactivity: An Exploration of Utility Values, Information-Needs and Image Interactivity
Author: Lewis, Elise C.Creator Type: Personal
Chair: Miksa, Shawne D., 1969-Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Turner, Philip M., 1948-Contributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Crews, Tena B.Contributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, TexasAdditional Info: Web: www.unt.edu
- Creation: 2011-08
- Content Description: This study was designed to explore the relationships between users and interactive images. Three factors were identified and provided different perspectives on how users interact with images: image utility, information-need, and images with varying levels of interactivity. The study used a mixed methodology to gain a more comprehensive understanding about the selected factors. An image survey was used to introduce the participants to the images and recorded utility values when given a specific task. The interviews allowed participants to provide details about their experiences with the interactive images and how it affected their utility values. Findings from the study showed that images offering the highest level of interactivity do not always generate the highest utility. Factors such as personal preference, specifically speed and control of the image, affect the usefulness of the image. Participant also provided a variety of uses where access to interactive images would be beneficial. Educational settings and research tools are a few examples of uses provided by participants.
- Keyword: image representation
- Keyword: image utility
- Keyword: image interactivity
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights Holder: Lewis, Elise C.
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- Accession or Local Control No: lewis_elise_c
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc84240
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas
- Academic Department: College of Information
- Degree Discipline: Information Science
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Degree Name: Doctor of Philosophy
- Degree Publication Type: disse