A computational study of nodal-based tetrahedral element behavior. Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title A computational study of nodal-based tetrahedral element behavior.
Author: Gullerud, Arne S.Creator Type: Personal
Sponsor: United States. Department of Energy.Contributor Type: Organization
Name: Sandia National LaboratoriesPlace of Publication: United States
- Creation: 2010-09-01
- Content Description: This report explores the behavior of nodal-based tetrahedral elements on six sample problems, and compares their solution to that of a corresponding hexahedral mesh. The problems demonstrate that while certain aspects of the solution field for the nodal-based tetrahedrons provide good quality results, the pressure field tends to be of poor quality. Results appear to be strongly affected by the connectivity of the tetrahedral elements. Simulations that rely on the pressure field, such as those which use material models that are dependent on the pressure (e.g. equation-of-state models), can generate erroneous results. Remeshing can also be strongly affected by these issues. The nodal-based test elements as they currently stand need to be used with caution to ensure that their numerical deficiencies do not adversely affect critical values of interest.
- Physical Description: 50 p.
- Keyword: Shape
- Keyword: Computerized Simulation
- Keyword: Mesh Generation
- STI Subject Categories: 97 Mathematical Methods And Computing
- Keyword: Mathematical Solutions
Name: Office of Scientific & Technical Information Technical ReportsCode: OSTI
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Report No.: SAND2010-6309
- Grant Number: AC04-94AL85000
- DOI: 10.2172/1007319
- Office of Scientific & Technical Information Report Number: 1007319
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc835712