Aerosol cluster impact and break-up : model and implementation. Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Aerosol cluster impact and break-up : model and implementation.
Author: Lechman, Jeremy B.Creator Type: Personal
Sponsor: United States. Department of Energy.Contributor Type: Organization
Name: Sandia National LaboratoriesPlace of Publication: United States
- Creation: 2010-10-01
- Content Description: In this report a model for simulating aerosol cluster impact with rigid walls is presented. The model is based on JKR adhesion theory and is implemented as an enhancement to the granular (DEM) package within the LAMMPS code. The theory behind the model is outlined and preliminary results are shown. Modeling the interactions of small particles is relevant to a number of applications (e.g., soils, powders, colloidal suspensions, etc.). Modeling the behavior of aerosol particles during agglomeration and cluster dynamics upon impact with a wall is of particular interest. In this report we describe preliminary efforts to develop and implement physical models for aerosol particle interactions. Future work will consist of deploying these models to simulate aerosol cluster behavior upon impact with a rigid wall for the purpose of developing relationships for impact speed and probability of stick/bounce/break-up as well as to assess the distribution of cluster sizes if break-up occurs. These relationships will be developed consistent with the need for inputs into system-level codes. Section 2 gives background and details on the physical model as well as implementations issues. Section 3 presents some preliminary results which lead to discussion in Section 4 of future plans.
- Physical Description: 19 p.
- Keyword: Probability
- Keyword: Aerosols
- Keyword: Agglomeration
- Keyword: Implementation
- Keyword: Simulation
- Keyword: Adhesion
- Keyword: Soils
- Keyword: Particle Interactions
- STI Subject Categories: 72 Physics Of Elementary Particles And Fields
- Keyword: Velocity
- Keyword: Distribution
Name: Office of Scientific & Technical Information Technical ReportsCode: OSTI
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Report No.: SAND2010-7105
- Grant Number: AC04-94AL85000
- DOI: 10.2172/1010851
- Office of Scientific & Technical Information Report Number: 1010851
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc829853