Child Welfare: Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Benefits for Children in Foster Care Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Child Welfare: Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Benefits for Children in Foster Care
Author: Fernandes, Adrienne L.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Analyst in Social Legislation; Domestic Social Policy Division
Author: Szymendera, ScottCreator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Analyst in Social Security; Domestic Social Policy Division
Author: Stoltzfus, EmilieCreator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Specialist in Social Legislation; Domestic Social Policy Division
Name: Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 2007-02-01
- Content Description: This report begins with a discussion of the foster care system and the Social Security benefits available to eligible children, including those in foster care. It then describes the role of representative payees and their responsibilities. The report provides data on the use of Social Security benefits to reimburse states for child welfare, and includes a discussion of the Keffeler decision. Finally, the report concludes with proposals supported by some advocates to change the current practice of using SSI and other Social Security benefits to fund foster care, as well as with a discussion of state initiatives to screen all foster children for Social Security and to pass along some benefits to eligible children.
- Physical Description: 37 Pages.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Foster home care
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Welfare
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Children
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Social security
- Place Name: United States
Name: Congressional Research Service ReportsCode: CRSR
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Rights License: pd
- CRS Report Number: RL33855
- Accession or Local Control No: RL33855_2007Feb01
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc820289