[Aerial of NTSU from northwest 2]

Description

Photograph of the NTSU campus from the northwest. The buildings that are visible are the Quadrangle, Chilton Hall, the University Hospital, McConnell Hall, Terrill Hall, Marquis Hall, Bruce Hall, the Master's Building, the Music and Orchestra Halls, the Music Building, the Men's Building, the Lab School, Crumley Hall, Kendall Hall, the Education Home-Economics Building, the Journalism Building, the Women's Gymnasium, the Memorial Union, the Administration Building, the Library Building, the Language-Government Building, the Business Administration Building, the Physics-Math Building, the Power Plant, and the Art Building. The road going through the center of the image is Avenue C.

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 6 x 6 cm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. May 17, 1962.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: University Photography Collection and was provided by the UNT Libraries Special Collections to the UNT Digital Library, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 13 times. More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Audiences

We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

UNT Libraries Special Collections

The Special Collections Department collects and preserves rare and unique materials including rare books, oral histories, university archives, historical manuscripts, maps, microfilm, photographs, art and artifacts. The department is located in UNT's Willis Library in the fourth floor Reading Room.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Digital Library.

Description

Photograph of the NTSU campus from the northwest. The buildings that are visible are the Quadrangle, Chilton Hall, the University Hospital, McConnell Hall, Terrill Hall, Marquis Hall, Bruce Hall, the Master's Building, the Music and Orchestra Halls, the Music Building, the Men's Building, the Lab School, Crumley Hall, Kendall Hall, the Education Home-Economics Building, the Journalism Building, the Women's Gymnasium, the Memorial Union, the Administration Building, the Library Building, the Language-Government Building, the Business Administration Building, the Physics-Math Building, the Power Plant, and the Art Building. The road going through the center of the image is Avenue C.

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 6 x 6 cm.

Notes

North Texas State University was renamed the University of North Texas on May 15, 1988. The Laboratory School, built in 1952, was portioned off into the Men's Building and Laboratory School in 1961, and then later renamed the Music Annex in 1968 after the school's closing. Crumley Hall was built in 1961 as a dormitory and now also houses the UNT dining services headquarters. Chilton Hall was the first dorm for men and was built in 1938. The University Hospital was built in 1958 and was demolished in 2007. The Quadrangle buildings were built in 1951 and 1952 to be used as dormitories, currently they are used as music practice buildings and Quad 1 was renamed Bain Hall. The Music Hall and Orchestra Hall were built in 1936 and torn down in 1976. The Music Building was built in 1961 and connected to the pre-existing Orchestra Hall and Music Hall; it was completely renovated in 2010 and renamed the Paul Voertman Concert Hall. Bruce Hall, built in 1947/48 to be a women's dorm, was remade into a co-ed dormitory in the 1970s. McConnell Hall was built in 1961. Terrill Hall finished construction in 1939 and was intended for use as a women's dormitory. Marquis Hall was built in 1936 as a dormitory. The Education Building was built in 1918/19 and renamed the Business Administration Building in 1950, the Language-Government Building in 1961, and the Psychology Building in 1970; it was torn down over the course of the 1979-1980 school year. The Library Building was built in 1937 and renamed the Information Science Building/Library in 1971/72; it was later renamed again to Sycamore Hall in 2011. Kendall Hall was built in 1952 as housing, in 2009 it was demolished. The Manual Arts Building was built in 1914/15 and was renamed the Art Building in 1961, it was torn down over the summer of 1974 and the General Academic Building was built in the same location in 1978. The Power Plant was built in 1915. The Chemistry Building, named in 1967, was originally built in 1951 and known as the Masters Building; it was torn down in 2009 to make way for the new Life Sciences Building. The Memorial Union was built in 1949 and demolished in 1964 to make way for the new Student Union. The Education-Home Economics Building, built in 1961, was renamed Matthews Hall in 1977. The Journalism Building was built in 1949 and was renamed in 1991 to Scoular Hall; the building was torn down in 2013 to make room for the expansion of the new Union Building. The Women's Gymnasium was built in 1951/52 and was renamed Stovall Hall in 1991, and it began to be torn down on December 4, 2015. The Administration Building was built in 1956. The Physics-Math Building was dedicated in 1961 and in 1977 it was renamed the Physics Building.

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Digital Library or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

University Photography Collection

Drawn from the UNT Archives, these photographs depict images of University of North Texas football, UNT alumni and alumni events, and images of the changing and growing University of North Texas campus.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • May 17, 1962

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The UNT Digital Library

  • Jan. 13, 2016, 3:39 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 23, 2020, 10:24 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 13

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Boundaries

  • N:33.215138, E:-97.14621, S: 33.208998, W:-97.15269

Map Information

  •    Geographic boundaries.
  • map marker Place Name coordinates. (May be approximate.)
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

[Aerial of NTSU from northwest 2], photograph, May 17, 1962; (https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc797458/: accessed February 27, 2024), University of North Texas Libraries, UNT Digital Library, https://digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Special Collections.

Back to Top of Screen