The Notorious Luke Short: Sporting Man of the Wild West Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title The Notorious Luke Short: Sporting Man of the Wild West
- Added Title A.C. Greene Series Number 16
- Series Title A.C. Greene series
Author: DeMattos, JackCreator Type: Personal
Author: Parsons, ChuckCreator Type: Personal
Author of introduction, etc.: Miller, RickContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Foreword
Name: University of North Texas PressPlace of Publication: Denton, TexasAdditional Info: Web: http://untpress.unt.edu/
- Creation: 2015-06
- Content Description: Luke Short perfected his skills as a gambler in locations that included Leadville, Tombstone, Dodge City, and Fort Worth. In 1883, in what became known as the "Dodge City War," he banded together with Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, and others to protect his ownership interests in the Long Branch Saloon—an event commemorated by the famous "Dodge City Peace Commission" photograph. During his lifetime, Luke Short became one of the best known sporting men in the United States, and one of the wealthiest. The irony is that Luke Short is best remembered for being the winning gunfighter in two of the most celebrated showdowns in Old West history: the shootout with Charlie Storms in Tombstone, Arizona, and the showdown against Jim Courtright in Fort Worth, Texas. He would have hated that. The contents include: -The cowboy by birth -- Tall tales and short facts -- The gambler by choice -- Get out of Dodge! -- A plain statement & shots from Short -- The Dodge City peace commission -- The White Elephant in Panther City -- Sporting men of Fort Worth -- Dead man in a shooting gallery -- Mrs. Luke Short -- The war on the gambling fraternity -- State of Texas vs. Luke Short -- The sport of kings and a palace royal -- The main event -- Luke Short -- prize fight promoter -- The last gunfight -- Chicago -- Game over.
- Physical Description: xxii, 326 p. : col. ill.
- Named Person: Short, Luke L., 1854-1893
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Gamblers — West (U.S.) — Biography.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Cowboys — West (U.S.) — Biography.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Frontier and pioneer life — West (U.S.)
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: West (U.S.) — Biography.
- Keyword: Wild West
- Keyword: biography
- Keyword: Texas History
- Keyword: Western History
- Place Name: United States - Texas
Name: University of North Texas PressCode: UNTP
Name: UNT PressCode: UNTP
- Rights Access: unt
- Rights Holder: DeMattos, Jack
- Rights Holder: Parsons, Chuck
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Statement: All rights reserved.
- OCLC: 902854216
- ISBN: 9781574415940
- ISBN: 902854216
- Library of Congress Control Number: 2015003807
- UNT Catalog No.: b5407339
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc701435