Thesée; tragedie, mise en musique Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Thesée; tragedie, mise en musique
- Uniform Title Thésée
- Added Title Metamorphoses
Composer: Lully, Jean Baptiste, 1632-1687Creator Type: Personal
Quinault, Philippe, 1635-1688Creator Type: Personal
Name: C. BallardPlace of Publication: Paris
- Creation: 1688
- Content Description: Thesée, which premiered at the court theater at St. Germain-en-laye on January 11, 1675, was Jean-Baptiste Lully's third tragédie lyrique created in collaboration with librettist Philippe Quinault. As in most of his libretti for Lully, Quinault combines a plot based on a classical source (an episode from Ovid's Metamorphoses) with references to contemporary events. The Prologue alludes to Louis XIV's personal leadership in the military engagements in the Alsace (along the French/German border). The juxtaposition of Venus' entreaties for pleasure with Mars' call to arms reflects a period of unease during which the French armies were in retreat from the armies of the Elector of Brandenburg. This resulted in the unique joining of songs of love with songs of war and victory.
- Physical Description: score (372 p.) 37 cm.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Operas -- Scores.
Name: Jean-Baptiste Lully CollectionCode: JBLC
Name: Virtual Music Rare Book RoomCode: VRBR
Name: UNT Music LibraryCode: UNTML
- Rights Access: public
- Musical Score/Notation
- URL: http://www.library.unt.edu/music/special-collections/lully/browse/thesee-1st-edition-1688
- UNT Catalog No.: 2111783
- OCLC: 3802051
- RISM No.: RISM A/I, L 3037
- Other: LWV 51
- Call Number: M1500.L95 T4 1688
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc70