A Comparative Study of Three Sonatas for Solo Brass Instruments and Piano by Paul Hindemith Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title A Comparative Study of Three Sonatas for Solo Brass Instruments and Piano by Paul Hindemith
Author: Alley, Edward LeeCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Dorn, Gerhardt George, 1911-Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Ottman, Robert W.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Minor Professor
Name: North Texas State CollegePlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 1957-06
- Content Description: In the years during the writing of The Craft of Musical Composition, and for the next few years afterwards, Hindemith was engaged in writing a solo sonata for each of the instruments of the orchestra. Muser states that this series of sonatas continues a definite policy of providing music for people who want to play music, and not merely to listen to it. The three sonatas for solo brass instruments and piano were written during this period. The sonatas, written for trumpet, horn, and trombone, were written in the following order: Sonata for Trumpet and Piano—1939; Sonata for Horn and Piano—1939; Sonata for Trombone and Piano—1941. These sonatas, being written rather closely together, should have certain stylistic characteristics in common, and there should also be certain features peculiar to each sonata. To study these sonatas and compare them with each other structurally and stylistically is the purpose of this work.
- Physical Description: vii, 92 leaves: ill., music
- Keyword: Hindemith, Paul
- Keyword: Craft of Musical Composition
- Keyword: solo sonatas
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Hindemith, Paul, 1895-1963. -- Sonatas, trumpet, piano.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Hindemith, Paul, 1895-1963. -- Sonatas, horn, piano (1939).
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Hindemith, Paul, 1895-1963. -- Sonatas, trombone, piano.
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights Holder: Alley, Edward Lee
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights
- Thesis or Dissertation
- Accession or Local Control No: 1002603983-Alley
- Call Number: 379 N81 no.2532
- OCLC: 43599973
- UNT Catalog No.: b1742512
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc699576
- Academic Department: School of Music
- Degree Discipline: Music
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Name: Master of Music
- Degree Publication Type: thesi
- Degree Grantor: North Texas State College