Chemical modeling of backfill composed of quartz sand, lime and an Fe-phase Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Chemical modeling of backfill composed of quartz sand, lime and an Fe-phase
Author: Meike, A.Creator Type: Personal
Author: Glassley, W.E.Creator Type: Personal
Sponsor: United States. Department of Energy.Contributor Type: OrganizationContributor Info: USDOE, Washington, DC (United States)
Name: Lawrence Livermore National LaboratoryPlace of Publication: CaliforniaAdditional Info: Lawrence Livermore National Lab., CA (United States)
- Creation: 1997-01-01
- Content Description: The area adjacent to the waste package is an important component of the engineered barrier system in a high level radioactive waste repository. The combination of lime, quartz sand, and a phase containing reduced iron is investigated whether it can achieve reduction of oxygen in the waste emplacement drift (thereby reducin corrosion rates) and increase the pH. The simulations conducted to date have examined the following backfill options: Fe metal only, Fe metal and lime, and iron metal/lime/quartz sand in equal volume ratios. Each option was simulated under two environments: limited and unlimited air exchange with the atmosphere. Results suggest that the most important variable during the process of chemical conditioning is the amount of air exchange that occurs in the emplacement drift. The desired chemical conditioing (both oxidation potential and pH) will be far less effective in an emplacement that experiences an unlimited exchange of air with the atmosphere.
- Physical Description: 25 p.
- Keyword: Radioactive Waste Storage
- STI Subject Categories: 05 Nuclear Fuels
- Keyword: Backfilling
- Other Information: PBD: Jan 1997
Name: Office of Scientific & Technical Information Technical ReportsCode: OSTI
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Other: DE97051933
- Report No.: UCRL-ID--124631
- Grant Number: W-7405-ENG-48
- DOI: 10.2172/469085
- Office of Scientific & Technical Information Report Number: 469085
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc682663
- Display Note: OSTI as DE97051933