The effects of shielding the tips of airfoils Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title The effects of shielding the tips of airfoils
- Series Title NACA Technical Reports
Author: Reid, Elliott G.Creator Type: Personal
Originator: Langley Aeronautical LaboratoryContributor Type: OrganizationContributor Info: National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics. Langley Aeronautical Lab
- Creation: 1925
- Content Description: "Tests have recently been made at Langley Memorial Aeronautical Laboratory to ascertain whether the aerodynamic characteristics of an airfoil might be substantially improved by imposing certain limitations upon the air flow about its tips. All of the modified forms were slightly inferior to the plain airfoil at small lift coefficients: however, by mounting thin plates, in planes perpendicular to the span, at the wing tips, the characteristics were improved throughout the range above three-tenths of the maximum lift coefficient. With this form of limitation the detrimental effect was slight; at the higher lift coefficients there resulted a considerable reduction of induced drag and consequently, of power required for sustentation. The slope of the curve of lift versus angle of attack was increased" (p. 347).
- Physical Description: 345 - 353 p. : ill.
- Keyword: airfoils
- Keyword: aerodynamics
Name: National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics CollectionCode: NACA
Name: Technical Report Archive and Image LibraryCode: TRAIL
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: pd
- Rights Statement: No Copyright, Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available
- Accession or Local Control No: 93R20557
- URL: http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19930091267
- Report No.: NACA-TR-201
- Center for AeroSpace Information Number: 19930091267
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc65852