Technical Aspects of the 1934 International Touring Competition (Rundflug) Page: 6 of 34
This report is part of the collection entitled: National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics Collection and was provided to Digital Library by the UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
IN.A.C.A. Technical Memorandum No. 760
by means of a crank and. a simple tormdrive ,(fig. Ib).
An optical and acoustic signal, released- when --thegas
throttle is set to idling, warns the pilot when ready to
land.- The wheels are fitted with compressed air brakes
operated by hand grip on the control stick.
Fieseler Fi .97.- This also is a four-place, low-wing
cabin monoplane (figs. 3a to 3c). The wing is in three
parts; the center section, of steel tubes, is bolted to
the. fuselage while the wings proper (of single spar and
a false spar) are of wood. It represents a special de-
sign with slots and Fowler-type wing.
The fuselage is a fabric-covered truss of welded
steel tubes. Great attention was paid to the cabin ap-
pointments which include among others, an automatic fire
alarm and a ventilation system. -The sliding roof assures
easy accessibility. The front seats have interconnected
dual controls. The wooden stabilizer is adjustable.in
flight individually or in conjunction with the auxiliary
wing. Elevator and rudder consist of a light metal frame
with fabric covering, while the fin structure is of steel
tubing. The landing gear is of the three-strut type, the
oleo-pneumatic shock absorber being formed by the main
Klemm E1 36.- This is a four-place, cantilever, low-
wing cabin monoplane (figs. 2a and 2c). The wing is fit-
ted with slots and trailing-edge flaps. Its construction
follows the conventional practice of two spars and plywood
covering. The fuselage frame is of welded steel tubes
covered with fabric. The cabin is accessible by means of
the hinged left-side wall and the roof. In case of emer-
gency, the whole top is detachable. The front seats are
fitted with interconnected dual controls; the stabilizer
is adjustable in flight. The landing gear is partly braced
and partly with cantilever oleo legs. The wheels are
equipped with internal expanding brakes.
RWD 9.- Built by Rogalski, Wigura and Drzewiecki in
Okecie near Warsaw, this airplane (figs. 4a and 4b) is
very much like the RWD 2, the winning entry in the 1932
race. The principal modifications:were made on the wing
structure which is now designed with-two spars instead of
one, covered with fabric. Like its predecessor, it has
slotted wings and trailing-edge flaps. The wings can be
folded. The fuselage is of welded steel tubing with fab-
ric covering. The cabin seats four (two seats side by
Here’s what’s next.
This report can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Report.
Schulz, R. & Pleines, W. Technical Aspects of the 1934 International Touring Competition (Rundflug), report, December 1934; (https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc63467/m1/6/: accessed May 19, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, https://digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.