Private Security Contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan: Legal Issues Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Private Security Contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan: Legal Issues
Author: Elsea, Jennifer K.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Attorney, Legislative
Name: Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 2010-01-07
- Content Description: This report discusses the legal framework that applies to private security contractors (PSCs) in Iraq and Afghanistan. After presenting a general description of the types of law applicable, including international humanitarian law and relevant status of forces agreements, the report addresses some implications of international law and a multilateral proposal for the adoption of international "best practices" regarding the use of PSCs. The report follows up with a discussion of jurisdiction over PSC personnel in U.S. courts, whether federal or military courts, identifying possible means of prosecuting contractor personnel who are accused of violating the law overseas in the context of U.S. military operations, including a listing of known cases that have occurred or are pending. Finally, the report briefly discusses the possible implication of the roles of private security contractors with respect to inherently governmental functions.
- Physical Description: 33 pages.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Defense policy
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Contractors
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Government contractors
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Subcontractors
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Foreign relations -- U.S. -- Afghanistan
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Foreign relations -- U.S. -- Iraq
- Place Name: Iraq
- Place Name: Afghanistan
Name: Congressional Research Service ReportsCode: CRSR
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- CRS Report Number: R40991
- Accession or Local Control No: R40991_2010Jan07
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc626948