Participation of Negro children in school lunch programs. Page: 11
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HOW ROCK HILL GOT ITS LUNCH BUILDING
By Quencie H. Davis
Teacher, Rock Hill Negro School
Spartanburg County, S. C.
Rock Hill School for Negro children
is located in Duncan, S. C. The enrollment
of the school is 182 pupils, and
there are 6 teachers.
About 8 years ago 50 percent of the
children enrolled in this school walked
long distances to school--many of them not
eating breakfast before leaving home.
Often they stopped at stores along the way
and bought candy, cake, and soda pop for
their morning meal.
The teachers realized that the eating
habits of these children were far from
what they should be--they were not getting
the foods necessary for growth and health.
They decided something should be done
about it. It was then decided to make
application for the Federal School Lunch
Program. Type B lunch with milk was
selected as the lunch type to be served
since space and equipment were inadequate
at that time to serve Type A lunches.
A classroom was used for the lunch
unit. A range and work table were installed,
and a small closet was used for
storage of food and utensils. While the
teacher taught in one side of this classroom,
the cook prepared a lunch in the
other half. The children were very much
satisfied with this lunch. Good eating
habits were stressed during the lunch hour,
and youngsters were discouraged from buying
and eating candies, cakes, and soft
The number of children attending
school and eating the lunches later increased,
with the result that more space
was needed. The teachers decided then
that a Type A Lunch was definitely called
The district, however, did not have
funds with which to help build a larger
lunch unit, so it was suggested that entertainments
be given to raise enough
money to defray the cost of moving and
equipping an Army barracks which had been
offered to the school district.
Plays were presented, contests held,
and tacky parties and other entertainments
held to raise funds. At the end of 4
months, $350 had been raised. With this
encouragement, another drive was started,
and by May 1, 1947, there was more than
$700 in the building fund.
Parents, taking an active interest in
the effort, began sponsoring programs
among themselves to help raise additional
funds. Accordingly, picnics, concerts,
fish frys, plate suppers, and other affairs
were held to raise enough money to
bring the building fund up to $1500 at the
end of 2 years.
After the funds were raised, it was
decided that it would not be practical to
invest money in a building that would be a
temporary unit, so plans for the acquisition
of the Army barracks building were
abandoned. The school district then offered
to provide a concrete block building,
permitting us to use our money to equip
the lunch unit.
The block building, when completed,
'measured 30 by 60 feet and cost $2366.28.
At that time the Government had earmarked
$10,000 for equipping school lunch
units, and we were able to get a share of
this money by matching the Government
funds. We bought a 20 cubic foot refrigerator
for $700, and an Army range, and
built a serving counter with cabinets in
which to store dishes. Cooking utensils,
tableware, a compartment sink, dishes, and
tables and chairs were bought, and an
electric pump was installed to provide
The parents donated food during the
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
United States. Department of Agriculture. Production and Marketing Administration. Participation of Negro children in school lunch programs., book, June 1951; Washington D.C.. (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc6225/m1/13/: accessed June 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.