Front-flash thermal imaging characterization of continuous fiber ceramic composites. Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Front-flash thermal imaging characterization of continuous fiber ceramic composites.
Author: Deemer, C.Creator Type: Personal
Sponsor: United States. Department of Energy.Contributor Type: OrganizationContributor Info: US Department of Energy (United States)
Name: Argonne National LaboratoryPlace of Publication: IllinoisAdditional Info: Argonne National Lab., IL (United States)
- Creation: 1999-04-23
- Content Description: Infrared thermal imaging has become increasingly popular as a nondestructive evaluation method for characterizing materials and detecting defects. One technique, which was utilized in this study, is front-flash thermal imaging. We have developed a thermal imaging system that uses this technique to characterize advanced material systems, including continuous fiber ceramic composite (CFCC) components. In a front-flash test, pulsed heat energy is applied to the surface of a sample, and decay of the surface temperature is then measured by the thermal imaging system. CFCC samples with drilled flat-bottom holes at the back surface (to serve as ''flaws'') were examined. The surface-temperature/time relationship was analyzed to determine the depths of the flaws from the front surface of the CFCC material. Experimental results on carbon/carbon and CFCC samples are presented and discussed.
- Physical Description: 9 p.
- Keyword: Decay
- Keyword: Fibers
- STI Subject Categories: 36 Materials Science
- Keyword: Composite Materials
- Keyword: Defects
- Keyword: Evaluation
- Keyword: Ceramics
- Conference: 23rd Annual Cocoa Beach Conference and Exposition, Cocoa Beach, FL (US), 01/25/1999--01/29/1999
Name: Office of Scientific & Technical Information Technical ReportsCode: OSTI
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Report No.: ANL/ET/CP-97040
- Grant Number: W-31109-ENG-38
- Office of Scientific & Technical Information Report Number: 10924
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc620168
- Display Note: OSTI as DE00010924
- Display Note: Medium: P; Size: 9 pages