Phaëton. Tragedie mise en musique Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Phaëton. Tragedie mise en musique
- Uniform Title Phaëton
- Added Title Metamorphoses
Composer: Lully, Jean Baptiste, 1632-1687Creator Type: Personal
Librettist: Quinault, Philippe, 1635-1688Creator Type: Personal
Name: à l'entrée de la porte de l'Academie Royale de MusiquePlace of Publication: Paris
- Creation: 1709
- Digitized: 2006-12
- Physical Description: score (211 p.) 40 cm.
- Content Description: Like many of the operas created by composer Jean-Baptiste Lully and Philippe Quinault, his favorite librettist, Phaëton is filled with solar symbolism--a reference to the "Sun King," Louis XIV. The story also provides a political lesson: the haughty youth unable to contend with his position of power served as a warning to anyone brash enough to challenge the rigid mores of Louis' court. In addition to this political interpretation, the story is also a character study of a reckless juvenile whose arrogance destroys him. Phaëton's misguided and inappropriate attempts to make his lineage public bring about his downfall. The plot, like that of several of Lully's operas, is based on an episode in Ovid's Metamorphoses.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Operas -- Scores.
- Other: Tragédie en musique
- Item is a Primary Source
Name: Jean-Baptiste Lully CollectionCode: JBLC
Name: Virtual Music Rare Book RoomCode: VRBR
Name: UNT Music LibraryCode: UNTML
- Rights Access: public
- Musical Score/Notation
- UNT Catalog No.: b2026578
- OCLC: 21395551
- RISM No.: RISM A/I, L 3003
- Other: LWV 61
- Call Number: M1500.L95 P52 1709
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc62