Flutter of a uniform wing with an arbitrarily placed mass according to a differential-equation analysis and a comparison with experiment Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Flutter of a uniform wing with an arbitrarily placed mass according to a differential-equation analysis and a comparison with experiment
- Series Title NACA Technical Reports
Author: Runyan, Harry L.Creator Type: Personal
Author: Watkins, Charles E.Creator Type: Personal
Originator: Langley Aeronautical LaboratoryContributor Type: OrganizationContributor Info: National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics. Langley Aeronautical Lab
- Creation: 1950
- Content Description: A method is presented for the calculation of the flutter speed of a uniform wing carrying an arbitrarily placed concentrated mass. The method, an extension of recently published work by Goland and Luke, involves the solution of the differential equations of motion of the wing at flutter speed and therefore does not require the assumption of specific normal modes of vibration. The order of the flutter determinant to be solved by this method depends upon the order of the system of differential equations and not upon the number of modes of vibration involved. The differential equations are solved by operational methods, and a brief discussion of operational methods as applied to boundary-value problems is included in one of two appendixes. A comparison is made with experiment for a wing with a large eccentrically mounted weight and good agreement is obtained. Sample calculations are presented to illustrate the method; and curves of amplitudes of displacement, torque, and shear for a particular case are compared with corresponding curves computed from the first uncoupled normal modes.
- Physical Description: 17 p.
- Keyword: flutter characteristics
- Keyword: aircraft wings
Name: National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics CollectionCode: NACA
Name: Technical Report Archive and Image LibraryCode: TRAIL
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: pd
- Rights Statement: No Copyright, Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available
- Accession or Local Control No: 93R21319
- URL: http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19930092029
- Report No.: NACA-TR-966
- Center for AeroSpace Information Number: 19930092029
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc60301