Chemical Information Bulletin, Volume 41, Number 3, Fall/Winter 1989 Page: 1
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
In retrospect, 1989 has proven to be a productive year for the Division of Chemical Information. The year began
with the following five strategic goals in place:
* Improve the image of the Chemical Information Profession
* Focus on Career Development
* Promote inter- and intra-Society cooperation
* Identify current issues affecting chemical information
* Increase member benefits
The committees have worked extremely hard to support and continue CINF's recognized position as an outstanding
Division of the American Chemical Society. Their activities throughout 1989 have been focused upon building a
strong foundation so that CINF can reach the above-mentioned objectives, and to this end they have been successful.
Just a few of the committee's accomplishments in support of our strategic goals are as follows:
* Presentation of a symposium on careers in Chemical Information on November 1, 1989 as part of
National Chemistry Week. The session was held at the City University of New York.
* Presentation of the first CINF student award in chemical information to Joan M. Evans on October
19, 1989 in Philadelphia.
* Participation in the Patterson-Crane Award presented to CINF member George Vladutz on
September 21, 1989 in Dayton, Ohio.
* Establishment of a new committee - Careers in Chemical Information - chaired by Patricia O'Neill.
* Continued participation in the organization of the June 11, 1990 Tr-Society meeting (ASIS, SLA,
ACS) and the June 3-7, 1990 International Conference on Chemical Information (ACS, Royal Society
of Chemistry, German Chemical Society, Chemical Structure Association and the Royal Netherlands
* Support of National Chemistry Week Activities through contributions to the newspaper insert and
programming support of the Pacific Chemical Congress in December 1989.
* Participation in the National Meeting of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers in Philadelphia
in August 1989 through a symposium on "What's new in Databases for Chemical Engineers"
* Implementation of a new CINF Newsletter to increase communication to members.
* Promotion of chemical information through posters developed by the Education Committee and
distributed by the Journal of Chemical Education.
* Regular updates by the Legislative Issues Committee to keep members informed of current
government activities which may impact their work.
* Continuation of annual Strategic Planning to help shape the future direction of the Division and to
ensure that members' needs are met.
The above are only a few of this year's activities. A complete list will be published in the CINF Annual Report which
will be submitted to ACS headquarters after the close of the year.
CINF is successful due to the hard work of its committees and the loyal support of its members. I have been honored
and very pleased to serve as CINF Chairman during 1989, and my job was made easier due to strong committee
support and the collective wisdom and support of my predecessors. My final request to all of you is that you make
the effort to help CINF grow and continue its outstanding performance. I've said it before, but it cannot be said
often enough, the Division needs your support.
If you wish to volunteer your help or have any suggestions, contact Joanne Witiak, CINF's 1990 Chairman (her
address and phone number appear on the back of the Bulletin). And in closing, my thanks to all of you for making
1989 a successful year.
Division of Chemical Information
American Chemical Society
CHEMICAL INFORMATION BULLETIN 1
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
American Chemical Society. Division of Chemical Information. Chemical Information Bulletin, Volume 41, Number 3, Fall/Winter 1989, periodical, Autumn 1989; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc5658/m1/3/: accessed October 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; .