An Analysis of Selected Choral Works by Kirke Mechem: Music-Textual Relationships in Settings of Poetry of Sara Teasdale Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title An Analysis of Selected Choral Works by Kirke Mechem: Music-Textual Relationships in Settings of Poetry of Sara Teasdale
Author: Bierschenk, Jerome MichaelCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Gibbons, HenryContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: McCoy, JerryContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Snider, JeffreyContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2003-08
- Digitized: 2003-08-01
- Content Description: Kirke Mechem (b. 1925), American composer, has a musical output which includes a variety of genres, the most prolific being choral music. This document examines selected choral works by Mechem that are set to the poetry of Sara Teasdale (b. 1884, d. 1933). Included are biographical sketches of Mechem and Teasdale. Selected choral works examined include Christmas Carol (1969) SATB and guitar, The Winds of May, five movement choral cycle (1965) SATB, Birds at Dusk, from the choral cycle Winging Wildly (1998) SATB, and Barter (1995) SA, trumpet, piano 4-hands. Analysis of the poetry involved as well as musical attributes and compositional techniques, including meter, form, harmonic structures, wordpainting, rhythmic treatment and melodic characteristics are included in the discussion.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Mechem, Kirke. Choral music.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Teasdale, Sara, 1884-1933 -- Musical settings -- History and criticism.
- Keyword: Mechem
- Keyword: choral works
- Keyword: Teasdale
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Bierschenk, Jerome Michael
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 53893595
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc5533
- Degree Name: Doctor of Musical Arts
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Degree Discipline: Performance
- Academic Department: College of Music
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas