Energy-Aware Time Synchronization in Wireless Sensor Networks Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Energy-Aware Time Synchronization in Wireless Sensor Networks
Author: Saravanos, YanosCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Akl, Robert G.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Mikler, Armin R.Contributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Tate, Stephen R.Contributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2006-12
- Digitized: 2008-04-11
- Content Description: I present a time synchronization algorithm for wireless sensor networks that aims to conserve sensor battery power. The proposed method creates a hierarchical tree by flooding the sensor network from a designated source point. It then uses a hybrid algorithm derived from the timing-sync protocol for sensor networks (TSPN) and the reference broadcast synchronization method (RBS) to periodically synchronize sensor clocks by minimizing energy consumption. In multi-hop ad-hoc networks, a depleted sensor will drop information from all other sensors that route data through it, decreasing the physical area being monitored by the network. The proposed method uses several techniques and thresholds to maintain network connectivity. A new root sensor is chosen when the current one's battery power decreases to a designated value. I implement this new synchronization technique using Matlab and show that it can provide significant power savings over both TPSN and RBS.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Wireless communication systems.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Sensor networks.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Energy conservation.
- Keyword: synchronization
- Keyword: sensor
- Keyword: networks
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Saravanos, Yanos
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 137282044
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc5438
- Degree Name: Master of Science
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Discipline: Computer Engineering
- Academic Department: Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas