A Preliminary Study of Selected Factors Related to the Decision of Chinese Students to Remain in the United States or Return to Taiwan Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title A Preliminary Study of Selected Factors Related to the Decision of Chinese Students to Remain in the United States or Return to Taiwan
Author: Cheng, Mei LienCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Dorse, Alvin C.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Engels, Dennis W.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Minor Professor
Name: North Texas State UniversityPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 1978-05
- Content Description: The purpose of this study is to explore selected factors that may be related to Chinese students' decisions to remain in the United States or return to Taiwan after they finish their studies. Based upon the Chi Square test, the results are: students likely to remain in the United States are influenced by the understanding of the life style of those Chinese who had stayed, perceived less prejudice from American people, and received political freedom in the United States. Factors influencing the decision to return to Taiwan are likely to include family expectation to return, willingness to devote one's ability for the betterment of Taiwan's future, and stronger identification with Taiwan. It is suggested that a long-term cost-benefit analysis be conducted so that it is possible to understand whether Taiwan's brain drain is a loss or a gain to its development.
- Physical Description: vii, 111 leaves
- Keyword: Chinese students
- Keyword: Taiwan brain drain
- Keyword: immigration
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Returned students -- Taiwan.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Brain drain -- Taiwan.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Chinese students -- United States.
- Place Name: China
- Place Name: United States
- Place Name: Taiwan
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights Holder: Cheng, Mei Lien
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- Accession or Local Control No: 1002772717-Cheng
- Call Number: 379 N81 no. 5461
- UNT Catalog No.: b1141934
- OCLC: 4154205
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc504535
- Academic Department: Department of Sociology and Anthropology
- Degree Discipline: Sociology
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Name: Master of Science
- Degree Publication Type: thesi
- Degree Grantor: North Texas State University