Shadows with Substance: Performing the Characters of Harold Pinter Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Shadows with Substance: Performing the Characters of Harold Pinter
Author: Beckers, Teresa E.Creator Type: Personal
Chair: Culp, Ralph B.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Gulley, Paul M.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Minor Professor
Name: North Texas State UniversityPlace of Publication: Denton, TexasAdditional Info: www.unt.edu
- Creation: 1980-05
- Content Description: This thesis considers first, the existence of a relatively new kind of characterization in the plays of Harold Pinter, and second, the need for the actor who performs Pinter to seek a new mode of acting. The purpose of the study is to identify the special problems or tasks which are thus imposed on the actor who plays a Pinter character. An examination of Pinter's dramaturgy reveals an emphasis on character relationships and a combination of the three different styles of characterization defined by Lorenz Kjerbuhl-Petersen: the type, the individual, and the shadow. This study concludes that the Pinter actor must simultaneously perceive a complex psyche in what seems a common human type, create an individualized concept of personality although information and behavior are misleading, and allow the actor's personality to color and expand that of the character.
- Physical Description: iii, 134 leaves: ill.
- Keyword: Harold Pinter
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Pinter, Harold 1930-2008 -- Characters.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Acting.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Characters and characteristics in literature.
- Keyword: Pinter characters
- Keyword: acting requirements
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights Holder: Beckers, Teresa E.
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- Accession or Local Control No: 1002776098-Beckers
- Call Number: 379 N81 no.5671
- UNT Catalog No.: b1200367
- OCLC: 7016236
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc504313
- Academic Department: Department of Speech Communication and Drama
- Degree Discipline: Speech Communication and Drama
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Name: Master of Arts
- Degree Publication Type: thesi
- Degree Grantor: North Texas State University