Dubuisson: A Study of His Music for Solo Bass Viol Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Dubuisson: A Study of His Music for Solo Bass Viol
Author: Cheney, StuartCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Brothers, Lester Dwayne, 1945-Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Adkins, CecilContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Minor Professor
Committee Member: Schoep, ArthurContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 1988-12
- Content Description: Dubuisson (fl.1666-c.1685) is the sole French viol player-composer between Nicolas Hotman (1613-1663) and Le Sieur de Sainte-Colombe (d.c.1700) whose works are extant. His four suites from a Library of Congress manuscript (1666) are the oldest dated French music for the bass viol; his approximately 125 pieces are contained in five manuscript sources. This thesis brings together, for the first time, all the music from the five sources for study and analysis. Together with the few biographical details, this material is used to assess his position within the French viol school. Brief histories of the viol and the suite in France precede a discussion of Dubuisson's contributions to the evolution of the genre.
- Physical Description: music, ix, 162 leaves
- Keyword: French music
- Keyword: musicology
- Keyword: viol composers
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Dubuisson, d. 1710.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Viola da gamba music -- Analysis, appreciation.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Dubuisson, d. 1710. Suites, viola da gamba. Selections. 1989.
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Cheney, Stuart.
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- Call Number: 379 N81 no.6510
- UNT Catalog No.: b1446583
- OCLC: 22638960
- Accession or Local Control No: 1002779166-Cheney
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc500315
- Degree Level: Master's
- Academic Department: Music
- Degree Discipline: Musicology
- Degree Name: Master of Music
- Degree Publication Type: thesi
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas