Supreme Court Appointment Process: Roles of the President, Judiciary Committee, and Senate Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Supreme Court Appointment Process: Roles of the President, Judiciary Committee, and Senate
Author: Rutkus, Denis S.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Specialist on the Federal Judiciary
Name: Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 2010-09-03
- Content Description: This report discusses the appointment of Supreme Court Justices, including the President's selection of a nominee and process to reach confirmation in the Senate. The appointment of a Supreme Court Justice is an event of major significance in American politics. Each appointment is of consequence because of the enormous judicial power the Supreme Court exercises as the highest appellate court in the federal judiciary. Appointments are usually infrequent, as a vacancy on the nine-member Court may occur only once or twice, or never at all, during a particular President's years in office. Under the Constitution, Justices on the Supreme Court receive lifetime appointments. Such job security in the government has been conferred solely on judges and, by constitutional design, helps insure the Court's independence from the President and Congress.
- Physical Description: 64 pages.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Law
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Supreme Court nominations
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Congressional-Presidential relations
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Presidential appointments
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Selection of judges
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Advice and consent of the Senate
- Place Name: United States
Name: Congressional Research Service ReportsCode: CRSR
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- CRS Report Number: RL31989
- Accession or Local Control No: RL31989_2010Sep03
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc491217