Positive and Negative Affect: Differential Impact of Optimism, Pessimism, and Coping in People Living with HIV/AIDS Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Positive and Negative Affect: Differential Impact of Optimism, Pessimism, and Coping in People Living with HIV/AIDS
Author: Ranucci, Melissa B.Creator Type: Personal
Chair: Guarnaccia, Charles A.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Charles A. Guarnaccia, Major Professor
Committee Member: Vosvick, Mark A.Contributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Jenkins, Sharon RaeContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2005-08
- Digitized: 2008-02-12
- Content Description: People living with HIV/AIDS (PLH) struggle with depression. Recent research suggests that depression affects medical regimen adherence, disease progression, and risky sexual behaviors. The present study uses a stress and coping theory viewing HIV-related stigma and physical symptoms as stressors in PLH. Results suggest whereas symptoms and stigma consistently predict negative affect, positive affect, and overall depression, the role of optimism, pessimism, active coping, denial, and behavioral disengagement is not as clear. Pessimism and denial predict negative affect and depression. Optimism and behavioral disengagement predict depression and positive affect. Active coping only predicts positive affect. Focusing on positive and negative affect as distinct components that contribute to overall depression may help researchers develop interventions more effectively.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: AIDS (Disease) -- Patients -- Psychology.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: HIV-positive persons -- Psychology.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Depression, Mental.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Optimism.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Pessimism.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Adjustment (Psychology)
- Keyword: HIV
- Keyword: depression
- Keyword: optimism
- Keyword: coping
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: unt
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Ranucci, Melissa B.
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 68484677
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc4804
- Degree Name: Master of Science
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Discipline: Psychology
- Academic Department: Department of Psychology
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas