Pakistan-U.S. Relations: A Summary Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Pakistan-U.S. Relations: A Summary
Author: Kronstadt, Alan K.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Specialist in South Asian Affairs
Name: Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 2011-05-16
- Content Description: This report summarizes important recent developments in Pakistan and in Pakistan-U.S. relations. These include high-profile political assassinations earlier in 2011, the Raymond Davis affair involving a CIA operative accused of murder in the city of Lahore, and the May killing of Osama bin Laden in the military cantonment city of Abbottabad, among others. Obama Administration engagement with Pakistan has been seriously disrupted by recent events. A brief analysis of the current state of Pakistan-U.S. relations illuminates the main areas of contention and uncertainty. Vital U.S. interests related to links between Pakistan and indigenous American terrorism, Islamist militancy in Pakistan and Islamabad's policies toward the Afghan insurgency, Pakistan's relations with historic rival India, nuclear weapons proliferation and security, and the troubled status of Pakistan's domestic setting are reviewed. Ongoing human rights concerns are briefly summarized, and the report closes with discussion of U.S. foreign assistance to Pakistan.
- Physical Description: 29 pages.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Foreign relations
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Foreign policy - United States - Pakistan
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: International relations
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Congress and foreign policy
- Place Name: Pakistan
Name: Congressional Research Service ReportsCode: CRSR
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- CRS Report Number: R41832
- Accession or Local Control No: R41832_2011May16
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc40168