Battle for the Punchbowl: The U. S. 1st Marine Division 1951 Fall Offensive of the Korean War Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Battle for the Punchbowl: The U. S. 1st Marine Division 1951 Fall Offensive of the Korean War
Author: Montandon, Joshua W.Creator Type: Personal
Chair: Lewis, Adrian R.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Lowe, RichardContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Campbell, Randolph B., 1940-Contributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2007-08
- Digitized: 2007-11-15
- Content Description: This study is an operational and tactical study of a battle fought by the U. S. 1st Marine Division near "the Punchbowl," an extinct volcano of military value in the Taebaek Mountains of Korea, from late August through mid September 1951. That engagement was to be the last 1st Marine Division offensive of the Korean War. This battle, for Yoke and Kanmubong Ridges, has received little coverage from historians. That it is all but forgotten is surprising, since it was one of the hardest fought for United States Marines in the war. The casualties were high, and Americans did not understand why so many had to die for a war that seemed to already be set to conclude by negotiations. This study tells the story of that battle more completely than ever before, and assesses its significance to the course of the Korean War.
- Keyword: Marines
- Keyword: Punchbowl
- Keyword: Korean War
- Keyword: Hill 749
- Keyword: Hill 812
- Keyword: The Rock
- Keyword: Kanmubong Ridge
- Keyword: Yoke Ridge
- Keyword: 1951
- Keyword: September 11
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Campaigns.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: United States. Marine Corps -- History -- Korean War, 1950-1953.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Participation, American.
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Montandon, Joshua W.
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 191506514
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc3938
- Degree Name: Master of Arts
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Discipline: History
- Academic Department: Department of History
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas