Ifigenia in Aulide Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Ifigenia in Aulide
Librettist: Cigna-Santi, Vittorio Amedeo.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: "La poesía è del Sig. Vittorio Amedeo Cigna Torinese, fra gli Arcadi Ginestrio Argeatide"--P. VI.
Composer: Bertoni, Ferdinando, 1725-1813.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: "La musica è del Sig. Ferdinando Bertoni, maestro di cappella dell'insigne Conservatorio de' Mendicanti di Venezia"--P. VI.
Name: Gaspare BaynoPlace of Publication: Turin, ItalyAdditional Info: "Presso Gaspare Bayno, stampatore, e Libraio della Società de' Signori Cavalieri"--T.p.
- Creation: 1762
- Content Description: This is a ca. 1762 copy of the libretto of "Ifigenia in Aulide," by Vittorio Amedeo Cigna-Santi, the principal librettist at the Teatro Regio in Turin. Cigna-Santi's libretto is an adaptation of Euripide's story of Ifigenia, the daughter of the king of Argos, Agamemnon. The goddess Diana decreed that Ifigenia had to be sacrificed in order to guarantee fair winds for the king's fleet on their journey to Troy. Achilles, rushed to save Ifigenia, his wedding bride, but Diana, moved by Ifigenia's obedience, spared her life before the priest killed her. Ferdinando Giuseppe Bertoni set this libretto to music for the 1762 carnival season in Turin. According to scholar George Hollis, the surviving arias of Ifigenia in Aulide are technically demanding and contain florid and lengthy passages in the tradition of opera seria. The library's copy of "Ifigenia in Aulide"is bound with the following librettos: "Catone in Utica," by Pietro Metastasio; "Sofonisba" by Mattia Verazi; "Arianne e Teseo" by Pietro Pariati; and "Le piacevoli poesie" by Gasparo Gozzi.
- Physical Description: viii, 63 p. ; 17 cm.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Operas -- Librettos.
- Item is a Primary Source
Name: Virtual Music Rare Book RoomCode: VRBR
Name: UNT Music LibraryCode: UNTML
- OCLC: 22167905
- UNT Catalog No.: b1032974
- Call Number: ML50.2.I45 B4 1762
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc39295
- Display Note: Full title as appears in the t.p.: "Ifigenia in Aulide, dramma per musica da rappresentarsi nel regio teatro di Torino nel carnevale del 1762. Alla presenza di S.S.R.M."
- Digital Preservation: creationAppName: Omniscan creationAppVersion: 11 creationHardware: Zeutschel OS 10000