Awakening a World With Words: How J.R.R. Tolkien Uses Linguistic Narrative Techniques to Take His Readers to Faery in His Short Story Smith of Wootton Major. Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Awakening a World With Words: How J.R.R. Tolkien Uses Linguistic Narrative Techniques to Take His Readers to Faery in His Short Story Smith of Wootton Major.
Author: Pueppke, MichaelCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Ross, John RobertContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Chelliah, ShobhanaContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Mitchell, PhilipContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2007-08
- Digitized: 2007-09-13
- Content Description: J.R.R. Tolkien uses specific linguistic narrative techniques in Smith of Wootton Major to make the world of Wootton Major and the nearby land of Faery come to life for his readers. In this thesis, I examine how Tolkien accomplishes this feat by presenting a linguistic analysis of some parts of the story. My analysis is also informed by Tolkien's own ideas of fairy-stories, and as such, it uniquely shows the symbiotic relationship between Tolkien's theories and his narrative art.
- Keyword: Tolkien
- Keyword: linguistics
- Keyword: narrative
- Keyword: fairy
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Tolkien, J. R. R. (John Ronald Reuel), 1892-1973. Smith of Wootton Major.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Fairy tales in literature.
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Pueppke, Michael
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 191672494
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc3927
- Degree Name: Master of Arts
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Discipline: Linguistics
- Academic Department: Department of English
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas