Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Hat
- Series Title Dallas Museum of Fashion Collection
Designer: James, CharlesCreator Type: Personal
Donor: Birge, Mrs. M. ArmstrongContributor Type: Personal
- Creation: 1932/1936
- No Language
- Content Description: Hat of gray felt. The sculptural piece is designed with elements of both a beret and a beanie. The crown is of oval shape with upwards sweeping and twisting panels of felt which meet at a point at the top of the crown. The shape is primarily held by blocking, with a few small stitches to maintain it. The base of the crown is sewn to a band of the same felt at bottom edge, forming an in-ward curving brim. The hat is unlined, the inner edge trimmed with black grosgrain ribbon. A small stitch mark on ribbon indicates the front of the hat. A think black cord attached to the ribbon helps secure the hat to wearer's head, to be looped around the back of the head. Designer's label sewn to inner ribbon: "Charles James / 15, Bruton Street, W.I."
- Physical Description: Measurements: 26 cm. front to back; 20 cm. side to side; 10 cm. high at highest point.
- Art and Architecture Thesaurus (Getty): Hats (Headgear)
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Social Life and Customs - Clothing - Accessories - Hats
- Item is a Primary Source
- Start Date: 1932
- End Date: 1936
- Place Name: England - Greater London Metropolitan Area - London
Name: Texas Fashion CollectionCode: TXFC
Name: UNT College of Visual Arts + DesignCode: UNTCVA
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: by-nc-nd
- Rights Statement: All Texas Fashion Collection content and images are copyrighted.
- Physical Object
- Accession or Local Control No: 1967.042.113
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc39145
- Display Note: This object was part of the Dallas Museum of Fashion collection. Founded in 1960 by the Fashion Group, Inc. of Dallas, the collection comprised important items of historic and current fashion. It was housed in the Apparel Mart, Dallas, and operated as the Dallas Museum of Fashion from 1960 until 1971. It moved to what was then North Texas State University in 1972, and became the Texas Fashion Collection.