Petroleum and Natural Gas Fields in Wyoming Page: 80
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
PETROLEUM AND NATURAL GAS FIELDS IN WYOMING
The Corley oilfield in sec. 3, T. 43 N., R. 93
W., and sec. 34, T. 44 N., R. 93 W., Hot
Springs County, is situated on a small dome
adjacent to the west end of the Zimmerman
Butte anticline . The Cody shale is the surface
formation, at an average elevation of 4,400
The field was discovered in 1946 when a well
in the NE1/4NE1/4 sec. 3 produced 192 barrels
of 240 API gravity oil and 22 barrels of water
daily from the Embar limestone at 4,100 to
4,134 feet. A second well was drilled in 1946,
and a deep test was drilled in 1947. The deep
test, in the SW1/ASE1/4 sec. 34, was drilled to
5,075 feet into the Madison limestone, and no
oil was found below the Embar. The reported
depth, in feet, to the top of formations in this
test well ivas as follows: Frontier, 1,220;
Mowry, 1,535; Muddy, 2,075; Cloverly, 2,235;
Dakota, 2,330; Lakota, 2,430; Morrison, 2,470;
Sundance, 2,735; Gypsum Spring, 3,000; Chug-
water, 3,110; Dinwoody, 4,075; Embar, 4,115;
Tensleep, 4,340; Amsden, 4,645; and Madison,
4,875. Production from the three Embar wells
declined rapidly. Analyses of oil and water
from the Embar formation are given on page
363 and in table 9 (p. 294), respectively.
By 1949 the wells were exhausted, and Cor-
ley field was abandoned. Total production
from the field amounted to 37,996 barrels of
The Cottonwood Creek oilfield (fig. 51) is
in Washakie County, a few miles southwest of
Hidden Dome field.' The field is a strati-
graphic trap on a structural nose that dips to
the west. The permeability barrier is a dolo-
mite-to-shale facies change in the upper Phos-
phoria formation. Rocks exposed in the field,
from west to east, include the Willwood, Lance,
Meeteetse, Mesaverde, and Cody shale. The ele-
vation of wells in the field ranges from 4,500
to 4,800 feet.
The discovery well, the No. 1 unit, in the
C SW1/4SW1/ sec. 2, was completed August
29, 1953. Initial production by pumping was
205 barrels of 27.5 API gravity oil from the
Phosphoria lime at 7,270 to 7,323 feet. The
well had been acidized with a total of 12,000
gallons. The log of this well shows the depth,
in feet, to the top of formations as follows:
Cody, 1,370; Frontier, 4,016; Mowry, 4,737;
Thermopolis, 5,122; Muddy, 5,272; Cloverly,
5,491; Dakota, 5,554; Morrison, 5,675; Sun-
dance, 5,951; Gypsum Spring, 6,234; Chug-
water, 6,370; Dinwoody, 7,205; Phosphoria,
7,268; and Tensleep, 7,521. The original bot-
tom-hole pressure was reported as 3,330 p.s.i.a.
at a datum of minus 1,450 feet, and solution
gas-oil ratio was 450 cubic feet per barrel.
Analysis of oil from the Phosphoria lime is
given on page 363. Gas produced with the oil
contains hydrogen sulfide in quantities rang-
ing from 1 to 3 percent.
During January 1957 oil produced at the
field averaged 11,811 barrels a day. By August
there were 43 wells in the field, and probably
7,000 acres proved productive. The southern
and western limits of the field had not been
defined. Production for 1956 was 1,784,146
barrels of oil. Cumulative production to Jan-
uary 1, 1957, was 1,913,806 barrels.
In January 1957 the oil from the field was
hauled by truck. In September 1957 the op-
erators in the unit began constructing a plant
to process the produced gas from the unit and
inject the residue gas to the reservoir.
The Cottonwood Creek unit, as approved on
February 11, 1953, contained 32,979 acres.
The Cow Gulch oilfield, also known as Old
Woman Creek, is in sec. 8, T. 36 N., R. 62 W.,
Niobrara County, on the Old Woman Creek
anticline. The anticline has a north-south-
trending axis in Tps. 36 and 37 N., R. 62 W.,
and is approximately 10 miles in length. There
are two "highs" on the axis, one near the mid-
dle section and one on the north end. The Cow
Gulch field is on the south "high." Forma-
tions from the Pierre through the Morrison
are exposed on the surface. Elevations of wells
drilled range from 4,130 to 4,206 feet.
The discovery well, in the NE1/q4NE1/4NE1/4
sec. 8, was completed in December 1947. Ini-
tial daily production by pumping was 14 bar-
rels of 36 API gravity oil from the Leo sand
at a depth interval of 1,454 to 1,474 feet. The
well had been acidized with 200 and 500 gal-
lons. The well was shut in in December 1947.
In July 1949 the well was worked over by a
new operator. Records show that production
was 22 barrels of oil daily, but the well was
plugged and abandoned in August 1950.
The second well, in the SE1/4NE1/4NE1/4
sec. 8, was completed June 19, 1949. Initial
daily production by pumping was 80 barrels
of 300 API gravity oil from the First Leo
sand. The log of this well shows the depth,
in feet, to the top of formations as follows:
Upper Sundance, 45; Lower Sundance, 277;
Chugwater, 355; Minnekahta (show of oil and
gas), 741; Opeche (show of gas), 790; Con-
verse, 860; "Red Marker," 1,303; and First
Here’s what’s next.
This report can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Report.
Biggs, Paul & Espach, Ralph H. Petroleum and Natural Gas Fields in Wyoming, report, 1960; Washington D.C.. (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc38797/m1/96/: accessed May 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.