CIMI's Z39.50 Interoperability Testbed: Search and Retrieval of Distributed Cultural Heritage Information Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title CIMI's Z39.50 Interoperability Testbed: Search and Retrieval of Distributed Cultural Heritage Information
Author: Moen, William E.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Project Manager
- Creation: 1998-01-02
- Content Description: This paper discusses the Consortium for the Computer Interchange of Museum Information (CIMI)'s international effort to provide distributed search and retrieval of cultural heritage information. A primary aspect of CIMI's work utilizes ANSI/NISO Z39.50-1995, and American National Standard protocol for information retrieval. The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) recently approved Z39.50 as ISO 23950. CIMI chose Z39.50 to enable uniform access to existing and emerging digital collections and the vast repositories of cultural heritage information resources. These resources include a variety of physical and digital objects--physical artifacts and digital derivatives of those artifacts, descriptive records designed for collection management, bibliographic records, full-text documents, online tools such as thesauri and authoritative lists of artists' names, and more. CIMI's application Z39.50 in the networked cultural heritage information environment is breaking new ground in distributed and integrated access to textual and non-textual digital collections.
- Physical Description: 4 p.
- Keyword: Z39.50
- Keyword: cultural heritage information
- Keyword: museum information
- Keyword: bibliographic information
Name: UNT Scholarly WorksCode: UNTSW
Name: UNT College of InformationCode: UNTCOI
- Rights Access: public
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc36295
- Academic Department: Library and Information Science