Cayes, Coral, Tourism and Ethnicity in Belize Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Cayes, Coral, Tourism and Ethnicity in Belize
Author: Key, CarolCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Pillai, VijayanContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Gibbs, TysonContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Eve, Susan BrownContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Ingman, Stanley R.Contributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Sadri, MahmoudContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2002-08
- Digitized: 2007-07-13
- Content Description: The development of tourism and more importantly eco-tourism has emerged as a primary objective for the government of Belize, Central America. This study examines two villages Seine Bight and Placencia located on a peninsula occupied by separate ethnic groups (Garifuna and Creole) that is located on a peninsula in Southern Belize. Seine Bight and Placencia are undergoing a change in economic activity to tourism. The study attempts to understand the role of ethnicity, socio-economic status, amount of contact with tourists, and the environment in regard to attitudes towards tourism utilizing quantitative and qualitative methods. The study also attempts to understand the organization and disorganization of productive activity on the peninsula and ethnicity over space and time. The point of diffusion and contact of different groups is reflected archeologically and historically in the marine landscape. The peninsula served not only as a natural harbor for those sailing up and down the coastline over time but also served as a point of diffusion of different groups reflected in changing place names, such as Placentia, Point Patient, and Pasciencia.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Tourism -- Social aspects -- Belize.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Ecotourism -- Social aspects -- Belize.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Tourism -- Environmental aspects -- Belize.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Ethnicity -- Belize.
- Keyword: Marines
- Keyword: ethnicity
- Keyword: tourism
- Keyword: Belize
- Keyword: Creole
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Key, Carol
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 50727158
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc3239
- Degree Name: Doctor of Philosophy
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Degree Discipline: Sociology
- Academic Department: Department of Sociology
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas