Breaking Through: A Composition for Symphony Orchestra Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Breaking Through: A Composition for Symphony Orchestra
Author: Dribus, John AlexanderCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Rovan, JosephContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Brothers, LesterContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Minor Professor
Committee Member: McTee, CindyContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2002-08
- Digitized: 2007-07-13
- Content Description: Breaking Through is a single-movement composition for symphony orchestra based on a fourteen-note melody. Every harmonic and melodic figure except the bass line is derived from this source melody. The structure of the work is based on a number of musical dichotomies that work on both local and large-scale levels. The local dichotomies contrast consonance with dissonance and ambiguity with clarity (in respect to texture and rhythm). The dichotomy of two-part form versus three-part form and the dichotomy of simplicity versus complexity operate on the large scale. The unity lended by the single source melody coupled with the contrasts furnished by the aforementioned dichotomies allow Breaking Through to be both coherent and interesting.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Orchestral music -- Scores.
- Keyword: symphony
- Keyword: consonance
- Keyword: palindrome
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: unt
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Dribus, John Alexander
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 50852561
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc3186
- Degree Name: Master of Music
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Discipline: Composition
- Academic Department: Department of Composition
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas