Legal Services Corporation: Governance and Accountability Practices Need to Be Modernized and Strengthened Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Legal Services Corporation: Governance and Accountability Practices Need to Be Modernized and Strengthened
Author: United States. Government Accountability Office.Creator Type: Organization
Name: United States. Government Accountability Office.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 2007-08-15
- Content Description: A letter report issued by the Government Accountability Office with an abstract that begins "The Legal Services Corporation (LSC) was federally created as a private nonprofit corporation to support legal assistance for low-income people to resolve their civil matters and relies heavily on federal appropriations. Due to its unique status, its governance and accountability requirements differ from those of federal entities and nonprofits. This report responds to a congressional request that GAO review LSC board oversight of LSC's operations and whether LSC has sufficient governance and accountability. GAO's report objectives are to (1) compare LSC's framework for corporate governance and accountability to others', (2) evaluate LSC's governance practices, and (3) evaluate LSC's internal control and financial reporting practices. We reviewed the LSC Act, legislative history, relevant standards and requirements, and LSC documentation and accountability requirements and interviewed board and staff."
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Government accountability -- United States.
- Keyword: justice and law enforcement
- Keyword: legal services corporation
- Keyword: letter report
- Place Name: United States
Name: Government Accountability Office ReportsCode: GAORT
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Rights License: pd
- Report No.: GAO-07-993
- Accession or Local Control No: 265506
- URL: http://gao.gov/products/GAO-07-993
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc297700