Hurricane Katrina: Providing Oversight of the Nation's Preparedness, Response, and Recovery Activities Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Hurricane Katrina: Providing Oversight of the Nation's Preparedness, Response, and Recovery Activities
Author: United States. Government Accountability Office.Creator Type: Organization
Name: United States. Government Accountability Office.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 2005-09-28
- Content Description: Testimony issued by the Government Accountability Office with an abstract that begins "Hurricane Katrina will have an enormous impact on people and the economy of the United States. The hurricane affected over a half million people located in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama and has resulted in one of the largest natural disaster relief and recovery operations in United States history. In terms of public health, standing water and high temperatures have created a breeding ground for disease, and public health advisories have warned about the spread of disease in the affected areas. Hurricane Katrina also resulted in environmental challenges, such as water and sediment contamination from toxic materials released into the floodwaters. In addition, our nation's energy infrastructure was hard hit; it affected 21 refineries. In terms of telecommunications, Hurricane Katrina knocked out radio and television stations, more than 3 million customer phone lines, and more than a thousand cell phone sites. GAO prepared this testimony to highlight past work on government programs related to Hurricane Katrina and other natural disasters, and to provide information on plans and coordination among the accountability community--GAO, the Inspectors General, and other auditors at the state and local level."
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Government accountability -- United States.
- Keyword: economic development
- Keyword: hurricane katrina
- Keyword: testimony
- Place Name: United States
Name: Government Accountability Office ReportsCode: GAORT
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Rights License: pd
- Report No.: GAO-05-1053T
- Accession or Local Control No: 112308
- URL: http://gao.gov/products/GAO-05-1053T
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc292715