Internal Revenue Service: Challenges Remain in Combating Abusive Tax Schemes Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Internal Revenue Service: Challenges Remain in Combating Abusive Tax Schemes
Author: United States. General Accounting Office.Creator Type: Organization
Name: United States. General Accounting Office.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 2003-11-19
- Content Description: A letter report issued by the General Accounting Office with an abstract that begins "Abusive tax avoidance schemes could threaten our tax system's integrity and fairness if honest taxpayers believe that significant numbers of individuals are not paying their fair share of taxes. Abusive schemes encompass such distortions of the tax system as falsely describing the law (saying, for example, that the income tax is unconstitutional), misrepresenting facts (for instance, promoting the deduction of personal expenses as business expenses), or using trusts or offshore bank accounts to hide income. As agreed, this report focuses on three objectives. They are to (1) describe the nature and scope of abusive tax avoidance schemes as determined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), (2) describe IRS's strategy to combat these schemes and the performance goals and measures IRS uses to track its major effort related to them, and (3) describe how IRS determined the amount and source of staff resources to be devoted to these schemes in the IRS operating division most directly affected."
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Government accountability -- United States.
- Keyword: tax policy and administration
- Keyword: internal revenue service
- Keyword: letter report
- Place Name: United States
Name: Government Accountability Office ReportsCode: GAORT
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Rights License: pd
- Report No.: GAO-04-50
- Accession or Local Control No: 240687
- URL: http://gao.gov/products/GAO-04-50
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc291496