Tracing the Path of Sustainable Development through Major International Conferences: A Brief History and Overview of Sustainable Development 1964-2002 Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Tracing the Path of Sustainable Development through Major International Conferences: A Brief History and Overview of Sustainable Development 1964-2002
Author: Dunn, Benjamin P.Creator Type: Personal
Chair: Klaver, IreneContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Frodeman, RobertContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Rozzi, RicardoContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, TexasAdditional Info: Web: www.unt.edu
- Creation: 2010-05
- Content Description: Starting with the idea that unsustainable practices contribute to issues of social justice and poverty as much as to ecological issues. Chapter 1 traces the origins of the terms sustainable and development individually to see how it is that they came together. Chapter 2 traces the major international conferences and documents and their use of the terms sustainable development. Chapter 3 takes a phenomenology approach to get a bit deeper into sustainable development. I examine the most commonly cited definition of sustainable development as well as a broader definition of sustainable development as a process of change. Chapter 4 examines the field of environmental ethics and argues that constant debates over value distract policy makers from the central question of what morally motivates people to support environmental ethics views. Chapter 5 examines the institution and regime building process, and the conclusion offers three questions to measure our progress.
- Keyword: Sustainability
- Keyword: biosphere reserves
- Keyword: ecosystem approach
- Keyword: WCED
- Keyword: Our Common Future
- Keyword: Brundtland Report
- Keyword: sustainable development
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Sustainable development -- History.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Economic development.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Environmental ethics.
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Dunn, Benjamin P.
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 664118562
- UNT Catalog No.: b3864967
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc28413
- Degree Name: Master of Arts
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Discipline: Philosophy
- Academic Department: Department of Philosophy and Religion Studies
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas