Ensemble - Jacket, Blouse, Skirt, Belt, Hat Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Ensemble - Jacket, Blouse, Skirt, Belt, Hat
- Series Title Cotton Award Winner
- Series Title Dallas Museum of Fashion Collection
Designer: Galanos, JamesCreator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Also Donor. Galanos, James (b. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 1924)
- Creation: 1958
- No Language
- Content Description: Ensemble consisting of: A) Jacket of black and white gingham cotton check. Bracelet length sleeves. Side front opening with 7" button extension. On left side front, there are two large circular black plastic buttons at waist and one at top button at neckline flap closure; bound buttonholes. Peter pan collar starts at piping edge of left side front and right side front. Two flap welt pockets. Back with inverted box pleat which starts open at neckline and goes to 2" above waist where it is stitched together. Side back shoulders have flanges which are basted down at bottom. Collar's, pockets', cuffs', front to back flanges hemline's and front opening's edges all bound in black satin bias tape. Lined in smaller cotton gingham check. Designer's label at inside center back neckline: "Galanos" B) Blouse of black and white, small gingham check. Center front opening with 2 (+ 1 missing) black circular plastic buttons supplemented with snaps and hook & eyes. Fitted, flared waist . Sleeveless. Collarless, slightly scooped neckline which forms a V in back. Neckline, sleeve openings and center front opening trimmed in black satin. Lined in fine white net. Designer's label on inside left seam: "Galanos" C) A-line skirt, street length, in black and white gingham cotton. Narrow waist of black grosgrain. Left side zipper. Lined in cream colored silk. d) Contour belt covered in black and white gingham check. Square buckle covered in same. Three holes. Back in light tan leather. Stamped: "Galanos Originals / Beverly Hills" e) Hat of quilted black and white gingham check. Black satin headband ties in knot on right. Crown in smaller check than brim. Brim piped in black satin and slits at right beneath headband knot. Lined in alternating triangular sections of large and small gingham check. Designer's label on inside hatband: "Galanos / 935 (handwritten)"
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Social Life and Customs - Clothing
- Art and Architecture Thesaurus (Getty): Ensembles (Costume)
- Art and Architecture Thesaurus (Getty): Jackets (Garments)
- Art and Architecture Thesaurus (Getty): Skirts (Garments)
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Social Life and Customs - Clothing - Accessories - Hats
- Item is a Primary Source
- Coverage Date: 1958
- Place Name: United States - California - Los Angeles County - Beverly Hills
Name: Texas Fashion CollectionCode: TXFC
Name: UNT College of Visual Arts + DesignCode: UNTCVA
- Physical Object
- Accession or Local Control No: 1958.001.001
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc283773
- Display Note: This garment was part of the line that won Galanos the 1958 Cotton Award, and was a gift to the Dallas Museum of Fashion from the designer.
- Display Note: This object was part of the Dallas Museum of Fashion collection. Founded in 1960 by the Fashion Group, Inc. of Dallas, the collection comprised important items of historic and current fashion. It was housed in the Apparel Mart, Dallas, and operated as the Dallas Museum of Fashion from 1960 until 1971. It moved to what was then North Texas State University in 1972, and became the Texas Fashion Collection.